« Home | Karaoke » | A little dedication » | Rainbows & presents » | My weekend (picture edition) » | Orthopaedic surgery! » | Casting day » | ED's over! » | A WHOLE day at the hospital » | Rainy days » | Friday is a hint that the weekend is just around t... »

Badminton

Something I've picked up since being in NZ is playing badminton =) Yea, my dad did teach me how to play way back when I was little me but never have I played regularly and with a proper badminton club since coming here. I look forward to badminton-night-monday...it takes away the blues of starting a new week back at work/hospital/uni, an outlet to vent out frustrations with smashes on the court ;).

I talk of badminton because recently I played in my first badminton tournament *grin*. Karen's been busy with work as of late, so I was asked to take her place in the interclub tournament. The funny thing is, I'm not actually a paying member of the club I currently play at (as in, I'm a casual member and pay each time I attend a 'club night' to play)..I had to 'pretend' to be Karen (cos if the opposition club knew of my status as non-member we could possibly be disqualified fr the match hehe sneaky sneaky) and thus my name was listed as 'K.S. Lee' (Karen Saleena Lee hahah what a fake name). At least everyone in my club got a kick out of it - calling me Karen all night hehe.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention is the name of the badminton club I play at - Takapuna Grammar (bcos we play at the hall of a grammar school!), how 'intimidating' to our opponents eh? Hehe.

We were in the 2nd cycle of matches i.e. we were replaying the same teams we had played in the 1st cycle, and the team we were playing this time round we had lost to 4-8 the last time we met. Considering most of us are 'new' players, having only been playing for less than 6 mths, boleh lah!

Somehow this night, either luck being on our side or we indeed have improved our playing (or maybe a little of both ;)) we won 10-2! [Pic of the happy winning team hehe T (L-R): Josh, Murry, Tim, Graham; M (L-R): Sivaa, Marie & I; and James below (Sorry ur not in this Sean! next time next time)]

Only doubles matches are played - I played 2 ladies doubles and 1 mixed doubles. The first match lost was the one played by Marie n I...it was a close match but oh well! Everyone had fun teasing me abt it tho - "So, we've won all matches except...yours right?" Eeesh geram! Hehe but nothing could burst my 'happy bubble' at winning my other matches - a first in my first ever badminton tourney ;).

More updates on the next interclub match next wk!

It's nice to know that more and more people are discovering and enjoying badminton. Keep it up! Who knows, you might be the future world champion. :-)

Post a Comment