« Home | Casting day » | ED's over! » | A WHOLE day at the hospital » | Rainy days » | Friday is a hint that the weekend is just around t... » | HI EVERYONE! »

Orthopaedic surgery!

On to my next run - orthopaedics! (to my non-medical friends =) it has to do with your skeletal system i.e. bones, joints etc). Today was only my second day but already I found myself spending the entire day in the operating theatre - *exciting*. One thing I definitely have to say - orthopaedic surgery is nasty! Imagine fixing fractures by drilling through the bones, plates & screws being fitted in here and there, suturing (sewing) up gaping wounds, tugging & pulling...nasty.

However, I got to scrub in today! i.e. I got to wear an operating gown, glove up and assist the surgeon. And assist him I did...by cutting sutures! Haha about the most basic thing you can do...that and wipe up any blood that leaked out from the wounds. Ok those who cringed at the mention of the 'b' word, I shall talk of it no more ;). Wow, scrubbing in is a pretty extensive procedure (or rather it seems that way when you're new to it hehe) - first, you put on ur (suffocating) face mask and then you spend 5 mins on just washing your hands, hence the term 'scrubbing in'. Next, you put on the gown which is sterile (that fact is so drilled into you by every single nurse and doctor in the OT) and putting on ur gloves is another chore cos you can't just pick it up with your fingers - you gotta pick the glove up with your hand tucked in the sleeve of your gown, never touching with exposed fingertips. And I had to put on two pairs of gloves lagi - susahnya! Struggled I did hehe the staff giving me knowing smiles which said 'ahh this is her first time'. Then one of the nurses tied up my gown for me, oh how I felt special haha! And that was it, I was ready =).

It felt great thought, being able to witness everything up close since I was scrubbed in - one of the patient's had a shattered leg bone and after just two hours, the surgeon had pieced everything together and the bone was held intact with a plate and screws. Wonders, surgeons can do. I can't wait till the next time I get to scrub in, let's hope I manage to get it done in under 20 mins this time *grin*.

cool man..

*in awe*......

haha oh Her! I really didn't get to do much ;)

Post a Comment