« Home | HI EVERYONE! »

Friday is a hint that the weekend is just around the corner

Friday marked the last day our 160+ odd 4th yr med class would be meeting for lectures on campus (well till our next lecture block at end of Sept that is hehe), as for the rest of the year we'd all be posted on individual runs at different hospitals around Auckland.
  • In Msia - this would mean that hardly anyone would turn up on this day as, "if there wasn't anything important to be said at the beginning of the week, there most definitely wouldn't be anything important to be said at the end." Hehe the epitome of slacker mentality.
  • But for the kiwis? No...the last day of classes somehow translates as 'must-attend!' as the lecture hall was full! "Who's that person over there?" I'm asking my neighbour to my right...cos suddenly I'm seeing people I've never seen before *scratches head in wonder*.

One thing I've noticed since being here is that to get into med school in NZ is 'hard-as' (no, not as in a** ...the suffix 'as' is meant to emphasise the word that precedes it. Hehe kiwi slang 101). Medicine is a 6 yr course here, but to get into medicine is to actually start 2nd yr as 1st yr you would be doing either biomedical sciences, health sciences, biochemistry...whatever it may be. So from all these 1st yr courses you end up with a thousand odd people who apply for medicine of which only less than 200 places are available. Hard core I would say. So you can imagine - my class is made up of the best of the best. Yikes, I'm in trouble. So back to my point, competition IS tough here. But still there are those who know how to have a good time ;).

It being the last day of lectures, our international student coordinator Karen Dorrian, the sweet woman that she is, arranged an IMU-buddy function for us - a day out bowling! (I know, doesn't the term 'IMU-buddy' seem so dorky? Haha. Oh well. To help us settle in better with life here as well as with studies, Karen assigned us buddies in class to help us out. I was lucky enough to get Grace Tan as my buddy, not only is she fun but she's also Msian =) so that helps a lot in relating to life here.) Naturally, it ended up being a battle of the sexes...and so we girls had our pride to uphold and the guys their ego to protect.

Lucky enough, our lane was 'rigged' in that even if u guttered the ball...a '2' would definitely pop up on your score ;). Of course the guys were mouthing off at the 'injustice' but we girls just kept on playing hehe. I guess this fueled the guys to win even more, which they did...so yup, their egos are still very much intact. We girls still managed to have a blast so that's what mattered *grin*. [Here's a pic of Nadia n I with our oh-so-cool bowling shoes hehe]

After bowling, we were on a role! We went straight on to playing pool...well, we consisted of Nadia, Eugene and I. Oh and Mark joined us too...his first time out with the imu-ers =). [Nadia looking quite the happy with Mark sitting beside her]

We ended the night with a good ole game of monopoly! With the latest 'here & now' edition - property prices are in the millions and currency denominations in K for thousands and M for millions. Cool eh?

Let's not say who won (cos I didn't haha).

All in all, it was a great day of full on fun. If friday was this great, I wonder what the weekend has to offer ;).

you make me wanna go back to school!!!!!
and i didn't know med students have so much fun ! hee2

Post a Comment