« Home | M.I.A. » | Badminton » | Karaoke » | A little dedication » | Rainbows & presents » | My weekend (picture edition) » | Orthopaedic surgery! » | Casting day » | ED's over! » | A WHOLE day at the hospital »

Gen Med

General Medicine has got to be the run where I felt most like "this is what I've been studying for all these years" cos it is the real deal - you have your patient in front of you and by integrating all the knowledge you've been trying to cram into your brain the last few years you have to decide what's best for your patient. Hard out I say.

But at the end of the day, you feel good about yourself because it feels as if you've made a difference (or so I hope hehe). Another great thing about Gen Med run is that each 4th-yr student is assigned to their own team, and with my team not having any other students on it (i.e. 5th/6th-yr students), it meant that I had the opportunity to fill in the shoes of my house officer whenever the need arose a.k.a. I got to do big doctory stuff hehe (or so I tell myself ;)) but it also meant that I was always on my feet - everyday was busy!
I was tres lucky that I had a fantastic house officer Lloyd McCann - the first thing he did was push a patient's folder into my hands while we were on ward round and said "Ok, you're gonna take note of what the patient says, what our examination findings are and what your impression is and write it in the patient's case notes." And I was like thinking "What?! I've never done this before...I have no clue!". That's when Lloyd smiled and took me through it. That was exactly what he was about - throw yourself into experience. I owe it to him that I can confidently put I/V (intravenous) lines into patients now (to put it simply - able to stick needles into patients hehe). He even found the time to teach us students each week, to prepare us for our OSCE exam. Hats off to you Lloyd!
[Wannabe doctors - Front:Nadia & I; Middle:Yen Hun, Christine, Samadhi; Back:Marty, Henry; with Lloyd]
My registrar was nice too, her name's Sok Beh and yes IMU ppl she happens to be Han Nien's older sis..what a coincidence huh? She's a tough cookie, good at what she does. [Pic with Sok in the middle and Valentina on the right - Valentina graduated from Uruguay and was just doing a week with us, she has the most adorable South American accent ;)]
I learnt SO many things in these 6 weeks, but a looong 6 weeks it was that I've never been more ready for a holiday in my life! Hehe. So yup, these next 2 weeks will definitely be filled with lots of R&R and most definitely more blog posts to come =)